Birthing Bodies, Birthing Art residency is a 40 hour rehearsal space residency for birthing parent. In partnership with Mascher Space Co-op in Fishtown, one birther will be awarded free rehearsals, stipend for child care and support for showing their work or holding a workshop with a guest artist. Artists from all five counties of Philadelphia may apply. No travel or housing is provided. Residency spans October 2017 to July, 2018 and is based on need.
We are happy to announce that the 2016 Moms Make Art residency was awarded to Lauren Mandilian Hout, a mom of wonderful 3 year old twins. This will be the first time she will be creating work since she got pregnant so long ago.
Below you will find the details of the residency and the application instructions. Birthing artists out there, please email with ideas, questions, thoughts. We are trying to find ways to support artists with families and any suggestions are welcome.
Who you are:
A new parent, who wants to continue creating performance work. You may have previously worked in theater, dance or any other performance art medium. This is a residency based primarily on need and preference will be given to birthing bodies who don’t otherwise have access or means to pay for rehearsals. Preference will also be given to parents with more than one child and who have previously had a career in the field.
What we can offer:
- 40 hours of rehearsal time at either Mascher or Fidget Spaces.
- 40 hours of childcare stipend at $12/h = $480
- Possibility for an informal showing if interested.
- Mentorship by Zornitsa Stoyanova
What we CAN NOT offer:
- Unfortunately both Mascher and Fidget spaces are in large buildings with lots of neighbours. Thus it is not possible to have very loud noise.
- We are also unable to host a tap or percussion artist as we don’t have the appropriate floor and the noise is again an issue.
All applications will be reviewed by Zornitsa Stoyanova – creator of the residency along with at least two members from Mascher Space Cooperative and Megan Bridge – director of Fidget Space. Each reviewer will vote on their top three choices, the artist with most votes will be selected for the residency. Choices are made based upon:
1. Personal circumstance and need. 2. Number of kids, and how many of them require childcare. 3. Does the mom really need the space provided, or do they need just an outside structure to complete their project? 4. Has the mom been able to create work since the birth of her children, in what capacity?5. Can Mascher Space accommodate the project proposed? 6. Applicant resume and history of creation.
Details about the spaces:
Fidget is a family centric rehearsal and performance space. It has a small stage covered with black Marley floor, hook up for music and lights. It is only available during the day until 4pm and sometimes on Saturday during the day. More information on the space here: http://www.thefidget.org/thefidget-space/
Mascher Space is an artist run cooperative space. Twice the size of Fidget Space, it is long and narrow. It has original hardwood floors and some columns divide the stage. There are large mirrors on one wall and a back curtain used to cover the mirrors and the backstage space. It has variable and flexible availability depending on other artist’s use of the studio.
More information on the space here: http://www.mascherdance.org/space/#rentMascher
In order to apply, please answer the following questions. Don’t spend too much time on this, we know you are sleep deprived and have tons on your plate. Just give us an idea of who you are and what you’d like to do with your time if awarded the residency.
- Phone and Email:
- Preferred Performance Medium:
- One reference (name, phone number and relationship to you):
- Past experience in performance. Please attach a sample of past work if you have one. (Feel free to attach a resume if you have it, or just write down the last few things you’ve done and your role in them)
- Why do you need this residency now? A few sentences about your family circumstances. How many children do you have? How old are they? Do you work? Are your kid/s in daycare/school? (please, be brief 300 to 500 words.)
- Description of desire/curiosity: What do you want to do with your time? What might studio time look/feel like? (please, no more than 300 words)
- What are times you’d like to rehearse? Do you want regular weekly rehearsals or chunks? Write down anything you think you know, and if you are very flexible, just let us know. More info on space availability, just click on the two links above for Mascher and Fidget spaces.
Please, send all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject Birthing Bodies, Birthing Art Residency Applicant
Extended Application Deadline: June 22, 2016
Notification Date: July 1st, 2016
KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE NEWS FOR Birthing Bodies, Birthing Art 2017 – 18.